Saturday, December 12, 2015

A Labor of Love

This week we studied the last hours of Christ's life, finished on the cross on Calvary. In a lot of ways, it was a difficult week. We talked about the kind of torture and cruelty, emotionally, mentally, physically and spiritually that He endured on our behalf. I love my Savior so much, and although I am grateful for the opportunity I had to learn more about His suffering for me, I really cannot dwell on His pain very long because it breaks my heart.

To finish this series of posts, I want to dwell instead on who Jesus Christ really is. I've spent a semester reading and learning about His earthly ministry. It is no surprise that at the top of the list of His characteristics are love and service. I want to talk about just one example from the night before He died for all of us.

He was celebrating the Passover with the Twelve Apostles. Before beginning the supper, He knelt on the ground before each of them and washed their feet. Just before this the apostles had been bickering about who was the greatest and had the highest rank among them. Christ, knowing that His hour was close, took this time to try and underline as best as He could this lesson:

"Know ye what I have done to you? Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them. A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another." (John 13:12-17, 34-35) 
Most teachers try to make their most important points to you the last day of class before a test, or at the end of the semester. Effectively, this supper was the disciples' "last day of class" with their Teacher. Although Jesus Christ knew at least in part the suffering that awaited Him just hours from that moment, He was concerned at that time for the well being of those He loved. 

I know from my mortal experience, not yet having had children of my own, that when I leave my family for long periods of time, I don't focus so much on the unknown trials ahead of me. Instead, all I can think about is how much I am going to miss my family, and how much I hope and pray that they will be taken care of. Those feelings always intensify as the time of departure grows closer. If that is how I react as a young mortal with a limited capacity to love, I can only imagine how much Jesus Christ was swallowed up in His love and desire to protect His dear disciples. Sadly, at this moment, He seemed most concerned with protecting them from each other.

I am sure that it is our Heavenly Father's desire, as shown by His Son Jesus Christ, that we focus our efforts in caring for one another, especially within our own families. They cannot physically be here with us, to mediate and to love, to protect and to understand. The best that They can do to help us is to show perfect love and service by example. It has to be our choice. 

I love both of Them so much. I am far from perfect, however this semester has given me added hope of my potential. I have seen a little bit of how much Jesus is willing to invest in seemingly hopeless cases. If He is that willing to work with those who are willing to work, then there is indeed hope for all of us to live with Him in heaven someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment